Sunday, March 25, 2012

Itagaki's Training (Hajime no Ippo)

Because it was so heavily requested by a certain reader (you know who you are *squinty eyes*), I'm going to skip Miyata for a bit and do Itagaki's training. This is just the first one, but I'll probably do another for him later on, just as I'll probably do another for Aoki and Kimura later.

Itagaki is a young Featherweight who joins the Kamogawa squad after Ippo is already the Japanese Champion. He's fast, he's technical, and he's a little quirky (mostly because of his family). However, he's a brilliant boxer and quickly begins to advance his skills once joining the Kamogawa gym. If you haven't read Hajime no Ippo, stop reading this and Google somewhere to read it right now... I'll see you back here in a few weeks when you've caught up on the series... no, seriously, why are you still reading this? (Just kidding)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this workout!

Itagaki's Training


Morning

  • 3 Mile Run, Sprint at the End

4-6 Hours Later
  • 25 Push-ups
  • 50 Sit-ups
  • 3 x 3 Minutes Bagwork or Mittwork
  • 3 x 3 Minutes Jump Rope
  • 3 x 3 Minutes Footwork Practice
  • 3 x 3 Minutes Shadowboxing
OR
  • 5 x 40 Yard Sprints (30 Seconds Rest Between Sets)
  • Rest 1 Minute
  • 4 x 100 Meter Sprints (30 Seconds Rest Between Sets)
  • Rest 1 Minute
  • 3 x 200 Meter Sprints (1 Minute Rest Between Sets)
  • Rest 1 Minute
  • 2 x 400 Meter Sprints (1 Minute Rest Between Sets)
  • Rest 2 Minutes
  • 800 Meter Sprint
  • Rest 2 Minutes
  • 5 Sets of 30 Seconds Speed Punching (30 Seconds Rest Between Sets)

Notes:
  • I intended this workout to mimic the kind of training I thought that Itagaki would have done in high school, before reaching the Kamogawa Gym. 
  • I'm not having you do both of these things on the same day, because I really want you to focus on speed one day and the other boxing skills on another, since Itagaki is such a speed demon. The good part of this workout is that you can always push the intensity of the rounds, the 3-miler in the morning, and the sprints to another level. 
  • Itagaki's not really a powerhouse, so there's not much in the way of physical strength here, but there will be a bit more of this in the next incarnation. 
  • Remember to stretch after this workout and remember to warm up beforehand. I wouldn't want for you to pull something with all this high-speed movement.
  • It would be best to do this workout on a track somewhere, but if you don't have a track, you can always measure out these distances yourself. Also, remember to push yourself and have someone time you, if possible. We're going for speed, speed, and more speed!

Hope you guys enjoyed this one. Like I said, I'm going to put a more advanced workout for all of the Kamogawa guys (apart from Ippo) so you can mimic your favorites. 

Until next time, good luck and train hard!

2 comments:

Itagaki Manabu said...

That's a hell of a workout you did for us !
I can't do it right now because of my flu :(.
I adore Itagaki because he is the fastest boxer of "Hajime no Ippo" and also the fact that he is a genius (like me, just kidding), and as for me the most important thing in martial arts is the speed, Itagaki's workouts are the best.
Thanks a lot for this workout, I hope there will be more and more workout on "Hajime no Ippo" guys =)

Itagaki Manabu said...

You know, I said that Itagaki's workouts are the best for me, but Miyata's too. I love all the workouts which are focused on speed, because it's the most importahnt thing in martial arts (along with stamina), so the workouts on Miyata, Kenichi, Ikki Takeda, Nanjou Kisara, even Goku's are interesting to me ;). I'm not closed-minded, I adore Itagaki because of his speed, but they are others characters of others mangas with "Godspeed" =)

Welcome to Real Anime Training!

Congratulations! You've found the internet's original home for anime/fictional/nerdy fitness.  We've been dropping workouts and ...