Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Random Training with James Shiba- Workout #1

In History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, the boxer character, Takeda, trains with the Master of Practical Boxing, James Shiba. In a conversation between Shiba and Akisame (the Jujitsu Master), Akisame remarks how random Shiba's training methods are. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, because he sculpts Takeda into one of the strongest fighters in the Shinpaku Alliance.

The training methods in these workout are from old-time boxers conditioning routines such as Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson, and Freddie Welsh and from modern boxers, such as Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.  I imagine Shiba would be versed in a variety of training methods and takes great pleasure in beating them into Takeda's body. These workouts can be very, very difficult and I would recommend scaling them down as necessary (1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of prescribed).



Random Training with James Shiba- Workout #1 (Calisthenics and Skill Work)


Morning

  • Run 5 Miles (squeezing tennis ball in each hand or holding a brick in each hand)
3-4 Hours Later
  1. 50 Pull-ups
  2. 100 Push-ups
  3. 200 Sit-ups
  4. 300 Hindu Squats
  5. 3 Minute Neck Bridge
  6. 20 Minutes Jumping Rope
  7. 3 x 3 Minutes Shadowboxing
  8. 3 x 3 Minutes Heavy Bag Work
  9. 3 x 3 Minutes Speed Bag Work
  10. 3 x 3 Minutes Mitt Work
  11. 3 x 3 Minutes Footwork Practice
  12. 3 x 3 Minutes Sparring 
  13. 500 Crunches or Bicycle Crunches
Notes:
  • Keep in mind that practical boxing is boxing with no rules. You can hit your opponent anywhere, as long as it's with your knuckles, so practice with that in mind. It's boxing for real fighting. However, when you are sparring, it's probably best if you don't hit your partner in the groin or the spine or things like that. 
That's all for today. Until next time, good luck and train hard!

6 comments:

2max360 said...

how low do you do push-ups?

The Anime Trainer said...

I'm not really sure what you mean. The workout merely says to do 100 push-ups. If you are not able to do 100 in 1 set you can break it up into multiple sets or just scale the whole workout back so that you're not doing as much.

2max360 said...

I can do 100 regular push-ups, but i've been told its better to touch your nose on the ground when you do them

Unknown said...

Hey can u give me the workouts for Olympic boxing taewonkdo and judo like Wat do u recommend

Robert Moore said...

Yo Stephen. I've been reading your blog for a long time. Great work bro. You're like crazy motivational and stuff. Regardless, you've shown a decent amount of training from the Kenichi series. I was wondering if by any chance you could piece together any type of training that Ukita Kozo, from Kenichi, has done. I know that the book hasn't shown much of Ukita traning or in action. How ever as a fan of judo and Kenichi I was wondering what you could do about this.

The Anime Trainer said...

I apologize. I previously read your comment as "How long" instead of "How low."

I would recommend touch your chest to the ground. Touching your nose to the ground can be a problematic thing, because people will crane their necks forward in order to touch the ground earlier.

@Xavier Johnson: I'll see what I can find for you.

@Afromeo the Casanova: I'd be happy to give Judo some more attention. I'm sad to see it's not represented more in certain manga/anime. So, yeah, I'll get something together for you!! I wish Ukita would get a Master, so he could stop being comic relief. Honestly though, I think Matsuena (the author) just doesn't have a strong sense of grappling or wrestling, because there certainly needs to be more representation from those types of styles, in my opinion.

I mean, for God's sake, he limited the BJJ team in the D of D tournament to immediately pulling guard... I mean... come on, man. -_-

Welcome to Real Anime Training!

Congratulations! You've found the internet's original home for anime/fictional/nerdy fitness.  We've been dropping workouts and ...